Hair transplant is a procedure that will grant you most of the benefits of medical tourism when you choose Bangkok, Thailand, as destination for your surgery.
Hair loss is very common among men because of androgenetic alopecia, a condition that leads to progressively thinning hair and baldness. It affects the crown of the scalp and the hairline above the temples which recedes; because of this typical presentation it is also called male pattern hair loss. While hair thinning is in progress there are some things you can still do to reverse, stop, or at least slow down this process, but once the hair is lost the hair transplant is the only possible treatment.
There are many different techniques performed in Thailand to restore the hair:
- FUT transplant. This technique involves the harvesting of a strip of hair from the back of the head the size of which will be based on the number of grafts needed for your specific case. Stitches will be used to close the surgical wound and then the hair grafts (follicular units) will be harvested from the strip and reimplanted where needed in the scalp. This method leaves a scar which will be hidden by the hair surrounding it in a couple of months.
- FUE transplant. This technique requires more skill from the surgeon. The follicular units are harvested manually one by one by the doctor and after some processing they are implanted where needed in the recipient area during the second stage of the surgery. It is labor intensive, requires expertise, but leads to great natural looking results and it is minimally invasive.
- ARTAS – Robotic Hair Restoration. This is the most advanced technique. A robot will perform the harvesting part according to the surgeon’s parameters making it much quicker, less traumatic, and more precise. The follicular units are extracted precisely at the right angle that varies for each hair and always leaving the same space between units extracted, for the best possible outcome post-procedure for the donor area as well. The surgeon will then have to manually perform the implant procedure like the FUE or FUT transplant.
- Scalp advancement – Hairline lowering. An incision is performed along the front of the hairline and the scalp is pulled forward; the excess skin on the forehead is excised and the new hairline is stitched in place. This technique allows to shorten the forehead by 2-5 cm and regain a younger looking hairline.
The transplanted follicular units in FUT, FUE and ARTAS techniques are harvested from areas of the scalp not affected by androgenetic alopecia and for this reason they will maintain their “immunity” to this condition and stay in the recipient area permanently.
Why a hair transplant in Bangkok, Thailand?
For a procedure such as the hair transplant, there are many benefits in choosing a clinic in Bangkok or Thailand in general for your surgery.
You can save a lot of money, up to 75% of the total cost of treatment depending upon the country you come from and the chosen treatment.
Saving money doesn’t mean you’ll receive substandard care: actually, the quality of the facilities, the expertise of the doctors, the technologies employed for your surgery are among the best in the world, which is another great reason to choose Bangkok for the hair transplant procedure.
Medical tourism is not just about the medical treatment. By undergoing a minimally invasive procedure such as the hair transplant, you will still be able to enjoy Bangkok and Thailand as a tourist with minimal limitations. This means you can have an amazing holiday and experience the many beauties of Thailand, from sightseeing, to SPAs, to Resorts, to the night life and much more.
Moreover, another reason why people choose to travel for their medical treatment is the privacy. By undergoing the hair transplant in Bangkok, nobody will know you had surgery unless you tell them so. The initial swelling, the scabs that form in the first few days, the redness that may be present on your scalp are unequivocable signs you had surgery. By spending some time in Thailand after your hair transplant, by the time you go back home you’ll have recovered, and nobody will know what you did.
How long do I need to stay in Bangkok for a hair transplant?
A hair transplant procedure takes normally between 4 to 8 hours depending on how many grafts are harvested and reimplanted. You will need to be in Bangkok one day before the surgery takes place to meet your surgeon and have a consultation with him. The day after the surgery you will go back to the clinic for a follow-up appointment and after that you will be free to enjoy your holiday in Thailand.
How is the recovery like for a hair transplant?
Recovery varies based on the technique used for your hair restoration.
With FUE and robotic hair transplant there will be some swelling, bruising and scabs which usually fade within 1 week. The scabs and the newly implanted hair will fall off and after about 3 months the new hair will start growing naturally again, which is when you will begin to see the results of your surgery.
You will have to use an antiseptic shampoo for a while, protect your head from the sun wearing a hat, wear a head band to limit the swelling. By duly following your surgeon’s advice the recovery will be quick and with minimal to no risk of any complication.
What is the cost of a hair transplant in Bangkok, Thailand?
The price varies depending upon the chosen clinic and technique.
For FUE-ARTAS hair transplant the cost per graft is about 30 to 80 THB (1.00-2.65 USD).
Contact us to know about the latest exclusive offers and promotions from the clinics.
What are the best clinics for a hair transplant in Bangkok?
Depending upon the technique you are interested in, there are many great clinics in Bangkok and in Thailand in general for hair restoration surgery.
Send us an email for a free quotation with no added costs to your surgery.
- Kamol Cosmetic Hospital
- Apex Medical Center
- Yanhee Hospital
- Million Hair Transplant Center
- Jungceylon Plastic Surgery Clinic – Phuket